Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 00:01:56 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 02:28:13PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:19:53PM +0200, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > I would suggest to remove the following from the ftp server too, it's
> > really better to access the source tree via cvsup, cvsweb, as a .tar.gz
> > or similar methods, and the thousands of files makes it a pain to mirror.
>
> This makes it pain for people wanting to get our source code to look at
> for reference or use in non-FreeBSD projects.  IMHO CVSweb sucks for
> anything other than using it as a "one off" ``cvs log''.  If one wants
> all the files to say src/bin/sh, CVSweb is a difficult way to get them.
> Same for CVSup for non-FreeBSD users.
>
> > Same goes with the ports
> > pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/
> > pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/ports/
> > pub/FreeBSD/branches/*/ports/
>
> I have to 100% totally disagree here.  I point many people to the checked
> out ports tree to get newer bits.  You are thinking as a FreeBSD Power
> User here who probably runs -current.  Not in the mind of a lot of our
> Linux converts.

You're probably right, but I havn't seen anyone downloading any of those
files from ftp.dk.FreeBSD.org in the last weeks ...

> > And perhaps make a decistion regarding if we should distribute snapshots
> > from ftp.freebsd.org, or only from current.freebsd.org (and then
> > transfer the alpha snapshots there instead of ftp-master).
>
> Perhaps we should just go out of the FTP distribution business.  IMHO it
> does not seem you really want to be a FTP mirror.

No need to be agressive, as I said on IRC, I'll mirror whatever is on
ftp-master, but I was just trying to make a suggesion.

> I have always kept one usable Alpha -current snapshot on the FTP site.
> current.freebsd.org isn't mirrored, thus anyone wanting to access it has
> to do to that one site.

I don't have anything against the alpha snapshots being there, but then
I'd suggest keeping i386 snaps there too, so we won't confuse our users.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)