Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:49:46 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Gawel <gawel@sim.com.pl>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: portmap

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 01:07:54PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	My understanding is that portmap uses UDP, which TCP-Wrappers
> doesn't protect.

tcpd has no problem protecting the first connection to UDP applications
run from inetd. TCP wait services are a problem though. Programs which
use libwrap directly don't have this restriction.

> 	You can get an improved version of portmap that makes explicit
> use of wraplib (I'd suggest starting with Wietse Venema's version).
> I'd go to <ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/>; and start from there.

FreeBSD's portmapper uses libwrap and so should have all the access
controls Wietse's version has. (Infact, I think it uses his code).

log messages when connections are denied, one option would be to use
the "severity" option in hosts.allow to log the messages at a different
level/facility.

> 	Or you can make use of kernel-level firewalling to prevent anyone
> from successfully getting packets through to a particular port on
> your machine, unless you want to let them through.  Look at "man
> ipfw" for starters.

This is probably a more general solution to unwanted connections though.

	David.