Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:58:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ron Queensbury <rqueensbury@wolfpack.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Ron Queensbury wrote:

> I am currently trying to setup a pc running FreeBsd. I am trying to do
> the install through ftp. I set everything up hardware related, and it
> appears to be functioning properly. I've tested my network parameters on
> other pc's and it works, as far as IP addressing goes. During the install
> I can get to the point where it tries to log into the ftp server and it
> says that it can not open or connect. I can connect to the site using my
> browser so I know that the site is good. Any suggestions or help would be
> appreciated. Thank you.

Some notes:

1.  Make sure the ethernet card is found during the initial device probe.
I think you can hit ALT-F2 on the main menu and it will list the network
devices found.  Or you can hit scroll-lock on the main screen and use the
up arrow tosee the device probe messages.

2.  Make sure the IP address used is unique.  Two machines cannot have the
same IP!

3.  Make sure you fill in the nameserver's IP address.

4.  Press ALT-F2 when you get the error message and look at the error
messages reported.