Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 13:38:53 +1100
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum/Fsck 1TB filesystem

On Friday, 13 October 2000 at  9:26:56 -0700, Charles Henrich wrote:
> On the subject of Re: Vinum/Fsck 1TB filesystem, Greg Lehey stated:
>
>> Well, without knowing what went before, no.  That's why I ask for the
>> information I do at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.
>> Obviously you'll get this if you forget to newfs, or if newfs fails
>> for any reason.  It would also be nice to know whether you have ever
>> been able to fsck this file system: you're pretty close to the
>> theoretical file system size limit.  I'd like to investigate this,
>> since we don't see many 1 TB file systems, but at the moment I'm flat
>> out preparing for the next week of conferences.  Is it possible to
>> recreate this problem later, and make 2 512 GB file systems for the
>> moment?
>
> Well right now there is data on the drives.  Setting it up the first
> time through went flawlessly.  I used vinum -stripe to stripe across
> the two 512GB drives, the newfs'd the bad boy and mounted it up.  We
> used it for several hours when during the creation of a file write
> the system puked badly.

I'd like more information on "puked badly".  If you had a panic, I'd
like to see the dump.  I'm also curious about your 512 GB drives;
that's much larger than any real disk I know of.  Are these real disks
or a RAID controller?

> During this write the first of the two drives activity lights stayed
> on, until I forced a reboot (some processes would not die), when it
> came back up the above error occured.

OK, looks like a hang.

> I finally remembered fsck -b (duh), and it fsck'd off the alternate
> block just fine, corrected a single file error.  When I went and
> touched the same file however, the same error conditions occured,
> and another reboot.

Panic?

> Another fsck, and removing the file and directory structure it was
> in, and now everything is working okay.  I've not ever seen anything
> like this before.  Im beginning to think that taking the FS up to
> 1TB is just too risky, so will try and break it back down to two
> 512GB drives next week after the data is backed up.

Yes, I'd agree.  As I said, you're pushing the limit, and you may just
be the first person to ever try to use a 1 TB file system.

> Im curious why fsck is horking so badly on that boot block though,
> shouldnt it automagically look for backups ?

I'd guess that fsck finds that both superblocks look plausible, so it
can't tell which one is "correct".

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.