Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:57:03 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Brossin Pierrick" <pbrossin@wxp.homeip.net>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Server and Gateway

Yes you are very confused.
gateway_enable="YES"   statement in the rc.conf file does nothing by it's
self. It tells the FBSD system this system is going to act as a gateway. You
also have to include other options to tell it how to configure the gateway,
like what program is doing the forwarding (IPfirewall or Ipfilter) and what
program is doing the translation of the public ip to your LAN private ip
address(user ppp -nat or ipfirewall natd or Ipfilter ipnat).

natd_enable="YES"  turns on the network address translation function of
ipfw-ipfirewall.

ppp_nat=YES  turns on the NAT (network address translation) function of user
ppp.

only if you have an LAN behind your gateway box do you need to use NAT.

FBSD has 2 ways to connect your FBSD box to the internet. For dialup phone
call to your ISP you would use user ppp, it's configured using the
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf file. It has it's own built in NAT function.

For always on connections (DSl, cable, T1) in most cases you would use the
DHCP method, and have to use the built in nat function of Ipfirewall or
Ipfilter, both which are firewall applications.

The environment most used by FBSD users are,
Modem Dialup =  user ppp -nat & ipfw without natd
Always on    =  DHCP & ipfw with natd

There are some variations to this, but for your current level of
understanding this will suffice.