Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 14:21:19 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Aleph One <aleph1@dfw.net>, freebsd-core@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Filtering to www.freebsd.org

Nate Williams wrote:
> Aleph One writes:
> >    I have come across some disturbing information. It seem that FreeBSD
> > project is filtering IP packets comming from the OpenBSD project. In
> > particular access from 199.185.137.*, and maybe 199.185.136.*, to
> > www.freebsd.org. If this is true it marks a very low point on the history
> > of FreeBSD.
>
> On what basis do you make these claims?  I understand that at one point
> in time email from Theo was filtered out simply because he was spamming
> mailing lists and *abusing* FreeBSD resources, but claiming that there
> is intent to filter all IP packets from the OpenBSD sites is a pretty
> strong word, and I'd like to see what factual basis you are using to
> even imply such a time.

Nate, he's quite correct I'm afraid.  Now all we need to find out is who
did it. :-(  If it's meant to stop mail, it's totally useless because of
MX records.  Have a look at freefall's /etc/rc.local for an example of how
not to do a packet block.

> > If the project is to succeed its in the basis of its quality, support,
> > and technical merits, and not by means of cheap tricks. Anyone wish to
> > comment?
>
> So, have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Oh great.  Just wonderful...  There goes the neighborhood.  Perhaps we'd
better disconnect from the net for a few weeks and then check to see if
the flame wars have calmed down a bit by then.

> Nate

-Peter