Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:05:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        Dara Ghahremani <dara@salk.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: daily and security output email msgs.

Dara,

By default, cron mails the output of any job to the owner of that job, in
this case, root.  This is distinct from any sort of call to mail in a
cron-run script.

About the only way to shut up cron is to redirect STDOUT and STDERR to
/dev/null.  However, you probably want to see the output of the
daily/weekly/monthly scripts as they can alert you to system anamolies.

If you'd rather they went to a regular user account rather than the root
account, simply add an alias for root to a regular user (you?) in
/etc/aliases and then run newaliases.

--
Ben Hockenhull
benh@jpj.net