Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:57:20 +0100
From:      "Robert Swindells" <rjs@genrad.co.uk>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Borja Marcos" <borjam@we.lc.ehu.es>
Subject:   Re: Linux clone() system call

Borja Marcos <borjam@we.lc.ehu.es> wrote:

> 	Anyone knows what is the clone() system call in Lunux?
> It seems not to be supported by the Linux emulator. I tried running
> the Linux version of Inferno and it died with something like
> "clone(): unimplemented system call".

It creates kernel threads. Since we don't have kernel threads yet, it
can't be emulated.

I modified the linux emulator on my system to print out the arguments
to this system call just to check if Inferno was really trying to
create a new thread or if the call could be emulated by fork().

> 	I did a "man clone" in a Linux box and it gave me
> the "undocumented calls" man page.

It is described in the Linux html documentation.

Robert Swindells     - GenRad Ltd.
rjs@genrad.co.uk     - Work
rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk - Home