Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 19:35:32 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        torstenb@ramsey.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uptime

>  > > crashme       up 385+22:47,     0 users,  load 0.48, 0.62, 0.85
>  >
>  > Not bad for such an early 2.2-current system.  In particular, given
>  > its name. :-)
>
>  Hehe, I gave it this name because it used to run Solaris x86. It has never
>  seen uptime >8 days.

That was good going.

We tried using Solaris 2.4 with it's aspppd for a dialup ppp server
and it used to crash constantly. And when it crashed. only a reboot
would reset the network interfaces correctly to allow another login.
The error message reported via syslog was something like:

Error #132 <source file and line number>: Insert error message here.

After numerous calls to Sun for "support", applying numerous patches
from their web/ftp sites, we gave up and installed Linux*. The entire
reason we went to Solaris was the 'commercial support' which turns
out to be somewhat non-existent. Support in freely available operating
systems seems to be significantly better, even if that is "user support".

Regards,
David

[* Yes, Linux. FreeBSD did not support our hardware at the time;
namely it didn't have Digiboard support, and I could never get it
installed to boot correctly with a WD1007/ESDI drive. This was
some years ago, and we've since got scsi and the dgb driver was
added and fixed, so we're happily running FreeBSD now.]

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/