Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 14:32:24 +1000 (Australia/NSW)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-4.0 PCMCIA broken ?

In some mail from Warner Losh, sie said:

> In message <200005020005.KAA11880@cairo.anu.edu.au> Darren Reed writes:
> : In some mail from Warner Losh, sie said:
> : >
> : > In message <200004281032.UAA01136@cairo.anu.edu.au> Darren Reed writes:
> : > : Does FreeBSD-4.0 support IRQ sharing ?  Or rather, does pccardd support
> : > : configuring devices in such a manner ?
> : >
> : > No.  I've never had good luck getting it to work at all.
> : >
> : > : pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
> : > : pcic0: management irq 11
> : >
> : > That's the problem.  I think I've committed a fix that pays more
> : > attention to the environment variables that set this.  When you try to
> : > use the same IRQ (in this case 10) between the bridge manager and the
> : > actual cards, bad things can happen.
> :
> : Which file(s) do I need to update here ?
>
> You set the irq for the management IRQ in the kernel config file.  You
> should set it to 11.  It defaults to 10.  You'll also want to delete
> the machdep.pccard.pcic_irq line from your /boot/loader.conf for now.
> Also, you may want to try this in polling mode, in which case you'll
> want to remove the irq XX clause from the config file.  That will free
> up one more IRQ if you need it.

The "machdep.." line wasn't there, but was commented out in
/boot/defaults/loader.conf (so I left that was it was).

Hmmm, I changed the "pcic" irq to 11, but still get:

pcic-pci0: ... irq 10 ...
pcic-pci1: ... irq 10 ...
pcic0: management irq 11

No go.  I also commented out the USB device lines (uhci0 was also at irq 10)
in the kernel config file and what do I get ?

pccardd[45]: No card in database for "3COM"("3CCM156 B")
ep0: <3Com Etherlink III 3C589> at port 0x240-0x24f irq 10 slot 1 on pccard1
ep0: Ethernet address 00:10:4b:ed:e6:eb
ep0: supplying EUI64 00:10:4b:ff:fe:ed:e6:eb
<hang>

ctrl-alt-esc shows more lines than fit on the screen, but the path is:
(off the screen bits)
pccard_beep_select
BUS_SETUP_INTR
bus_generic_setup_intr
BUS_SETUP_INTR
bus_setup_intr
ep_isa_match_id
DEVICE_ATTACH
device_probe_and_attach
pccard_alloc_slot
pccard_event
spec_vnoperate

If that is freezing because there is no speaker device (I copied my
config from GENERIC which has no sound driver configured), then config
should not allow this sort of configuration bogon.  I'm trying to
configure some sound devices with varying levels of success.

Darren