Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:01:18 -0500
From:      Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Major upgrade: 4.3R -> 4.4R - Any problem?

At 11:30 AM 10/17/2001 +0100, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>In my server I only use releases and I'm using 4.3R for now. I'd like to
>know if any of you have made a major upgrade directly from 4.3R to 4.4R in
>a multiuser enviorment, i.e., do all process (buildworld, buildkernel,
>installkernel, installworld and mergemaster) in multiuser mode and via SSH.

The buildworld and buildkernel are, AFAIK, totally safe in multiuser
mode.  They don't touch the installed system in any way.  It's the actual
overwriting of system libs and bins which can cause problems.  There are
some steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of issues when doing an
multiuser install.

Offhand:

Before you start, make sure kern.securelevel is set to a negative number:

# sysctl -a | grep -i secu
kern.securelevel: -1

You don't want to get half way through the install and have some bits fail
because of file ACLs like schg.

Now, log all users off.  Kill all their processes.  Kill off all processes
you possibly can (all services like web/ftp/pop/smtp/dns/etc, inetd, cron,
syslog, and even the listening sshd (your connection will not be lost as
long as you don't kill the process which your session is using)) before
doing the actual installworld and installkernel.

Check to make sure your network card will be supported by your new kernel,
with the config unchanged.

Read /usr/src/UPDATING

Read /usr/src/UPDATING again.

Cross your fingers. :p

I've upgraded boxes remotely like this many times with no problems.  You
should have a backup plan in case it fails.  Telephone call to the NOC your
box is in, ability to drive to the location if possible, or whatever is
within reason.

Do a practice multiuser install with test hardware that closely or exactly
matches the config of your remote box to identify any possible issues
beforehand.