Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:06:19 -0000
From:      "Dr Richard Hesketh" <rlh@online247.fsworld.co.uk>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Compaq Smart Array 5300 controller

>Hello,
>
>The error your getting is "no disks found "?
>
>If so did you setup the raid drive ? What is the Raid's config? stripe
size?

>> I'm trying to install the latest release of FreeBSD on a Compaq Proliant
>> 530 with Compaq Smart Array 5300 RAID controller. Sysinstall does not
>> recognize the RAID controller. I've read everywhere but only found the
>> following in the Hardware Release notes:

I've come across this problem as well today.  The RAID controller is not
recognized by the kernel ("unknown pci device") as the PCI id appears to be
different to any listed in /sys/dev/ida/ida_pci.c

The "unknown device" is given as (from memory!):

    vendorid = 0x0e11
    deviceid = 0xb060

My guess is that the board_id array in ida_pci.c needs to be populated with
an appropriate set of ids. Not sure if its version 3 or 4 of the access
functions though.

I'm going to build some example kernels using the following different
board_id settings:

{ 0xB0600E11, "Compaq SMART 5300 array controller", &ida_v4_access, 0 },

and

{ 0xB0600E11, "Compaq SMART 5300 array controller", &ida_v3_access, 0 },

and

{ 0xB0600E11, "Compaq SMART 5300 array controller", &ida_v4_access,
IDA_FIRMWARE },

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Richard