Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:56:19 -0700
From:      "pan" <pan@syix.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install on MS-6378 mainboard problem with NIC

From: "Andrew Kaplan" <noc@cshore.com>
[snips]
> and I'm able to configure the  "dc0"  DEC/Intell 241143 (and clone)
>
> I can ping the ip address of the card but can't ping the gateway. I
checked
> my subnet and gateway and
> cable they are all correct. I get a link light on the hub.
>
> The box takes forever to load and hangs on "sendmail" for about 3 minutes
> before booting to a root prompt.
>
> However sendmail is running ps aux | grep sendmail

I've seen the same behavior in re the dc driver and sendmail.
I get around it by setting
sendmail_enable="none"
(submit, outbound, msp_queue left = yes)
reboot
check ifcconfig - if no go then, unset & set dc0
reboot
change sendmail="YES"
reboot
o.k.
a pita, but it 'fixes' things

I don't know why, but sendmail's startup checking of host
ip & dns can isolate a box completely.

Pan

caveat: I saw this mostly in re setting ifconfig aliases