Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:18:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044055669.3fadd8@mired.org>, FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which files and directories to backup?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> before I do a major upgrade. I then shove the backup offsite via ftp.

I have not been sending the files out, but working on that.
First will encryp the files with gpg (GNU privacy) and then will use scp
to send the files out. I don't have FTP enabled on any of the, very few,
machines I admin.

> Much of what you are backing up is quite compressable, so you should
> most likely be using 'tar -czf' instead of just 'tar -cf'

I don't recall posting the line I use to run tar, but I use bzip2 instead
of gzip so it's something like 'tar -cyf ....'