Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:51:51 +0200
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vmware 2.0 / NT4 / 100% system CPU time

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 08:15:55PM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:

> No. The RUN ioctl is the mechanism used to (re-)enter the virtual machine
> from user mode.  There are lots of reasons that execution may temporarily
> return to the user level app (e.g. to service i/o).  You don't indicate if
> the system is UP or MP; if the latter try a UP system.  I'm also assuming

It's UP.

> you're running from a virtual disk and not a raw partition.  Otherwise look

Yep, virtual disk.

> for FreeBSD changes related to handling timers; that's always been a tricky
> part of the integration process.  Of course all this is just wild
> guessing...

I'll guess I have to trace what exactly the select is selecting on.
My guess is that somehow select immediatly returns and triggers
the RUN ioctl. IMHO that's the reason for the loop that Arjan reported.

That'll have to wait a couple of days because of mail overload :-(

-Guido