Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:42:27 +0300
From:      Valentin Bud <valentin.bud@gmail.com>
To:        Brice ERRANDONEA <berrandonea@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to connect a jail to the web ?

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Brice ERRANDONEA <berrandonea@yahoo.fr>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just created my first FreeBSD jail in order to install a web server
> inside.
> But I don't know how to connect it to the web. When I try pinging a http
> website, it doesn't work. Of course, it works when I do it from outside the
> jail.
>
> Another problem, probably linked to the first one, I can't run rc within
> the
> jail, even as the jail's root. It says : permission denied.
>
> Here's how I built and started my jail. I had already run make buildworld
> when
> upgrading to 8.1 release :
>
> # mkdir /usr/prison
> # cd /usr/src
> # make installworld DESTDIR=/usr/prison
> # make distribution DESTDIR=/usr/prison
> # mount -t devfs devfs /usr/prison/dev
> # jail -c path=/usr/prison host.hostname=ServeurWeb ip4.addr=192.1.1.1
> persist
> # jail /usr/prison ServeurWeb 192.1.1.1 csh
>
> I guess this must be a very basic question but please help me.

Hello,

 To be able to ping from inside the jail you need raw sockets
activated on the host.

sysctl security.jail.allow_raw_sockets=1

For ease of configuration you could use ezjail - a jail administration
framework written
in shell or if you plan to use lots of jails (20+) you could try qjail which
is also a jail
administration framework.

have a great day,
network warrior