Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:50:08 -0500
From:      Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
To:        Seth <seth@psychotic.aberrant.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web page suggestion

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 at 10:49:22 -0500, Seth wrote:
> This suggestion has probably been debated ad nauseum already, but I'd
> like to make it anyway on the off chance that nobody's ever heard it
> before :)
>
> One of the hardest things for people new to FreeBSD to do is locate
> the installation disks & instructions.  This sounds strange to those
> of us who are familiar with the web site, but the images are three
> clicks away from the main page, and the links are embedded in stuff
> that the impatient would-be user won't want to read.  I can't tell
> you the number of times I've pointed people to the freebsd.org web
> site and then had to hand-hold them through locating the floppies and
> imaging instructions.  More than once, I've heard "if it's this much
> trouble to install, how hard is it going to be to USE?"

If they think clicking through 3 links to get to is "too much trouble"
they shouldn't be using FreeBSD.  If they can't be bothered to click the
very easily labeled links, they're surely not going to bother reading
any of the install docs and will have an installation experience similar
to trying to ram their head through a brick wall.

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@osdn.com>     O|S|D|N      open source development network
http://soupnazi.org/                  http://osdn.com/ | jim@FreeBSD.org