Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:19:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Esborn <nick@grayphics.com>
To:        Frode Nordahl <froden@bigblue.no>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hackers?

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Frode Nordahl wrote:

> Can a FreeBSD box do this of itself if it gets into trouble?  Memory fault, disk fault or something like that?  Or do we have reason
> to believe this is hacker activity?

FreeBSD will reboot under all critical errors that don't totally lock the
machine.  In fact, the only time I've ever seen our FBSD machines totally
lock was a SCSI bus problem.

If that happened to me, I would tend to think it was a fault of some
sort, causing the machine to autonamously reboot itself, rather than the
act of an intruder.

> In any case, what should we do??

If it starts to happen often, you may want to start hardware
troubleshooting the machine.  If it never happens again, I wouldn't worry
about it.

Nick
Grayphics
http://www.grayphics.com/