Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, nnd@mail.nsk.ru
Subject:   Re: -current kernel hangs?

>Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:57:02 +0700 (NOVST)
>From: nnd@mail.nsk.ru

>>> Also (again, for me) "sysctl -N -a" outputs a (non-terminating) stream of

>	I have some kind of "workaround" (see the patch).
>In my config without this patch 'sysctl -a' hungs at net.inet.accf
>and with this patch it successfully run up to the end.
>I can not see what is wrong with the lines disabled by the patch.

After building today's -CURRENT OK (and observing that the behavior was
still the same for my custom kernel), I tried building a GENERIC kernel.
Much to my surprise (and different from my experience on 06 July --
last time I had built a GENERIC kernel for -CURRENT), that kernel did
not exhibit the symptoms.

I've now managed to circumvent the problem by:

* Removing the "device	pcm" specification in my custom kernel config.

* Adding the lines

	snd_pcm_load="YES"
	snd_maestro_load="YES"

  to /boot/loader.conf

* Re-building the kernel.  (cd /usr/src; make kernel KERNCONF=LAPTOP_30W)

* Re-booting.

It took a few tries to get things quite right, but sound works again;
thanks to the patch in http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=26854,
I'm (still) able to use the keyboard Fn+End chord to mute the sound
during boot (so that process is less disruptive in meetings).  (BTW, it
would be nice to get that tiny little patch in before 4.4-R.  Please?)

And yes, Linux emulation still works.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.