Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:33:30 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dirk GOUDERS <hank@musashi.et.bocholt.fh-ge.de>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More press

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 02:42:58PM -0400, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
> On 12 Sep 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
> > Dirk GOUDERS <hank@musashi.et.bocholt.fh-ge.de> writes:
> > > Oh, sorry -- my "browse-url-at-mouse" function made
> > >
> > > http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/screensavers/answerstips/story/02c36562c23246242c00.html
> > >
> > > of it...
> >
> > Netscape uses commans to separate parameters to the OpenURL command.
> > Fortunately, the API is open and documented, so there's nothing to
> > stop someone from writing a small command-line util that does the
> > equivalent of "netscape -remote" except faster and better.
>
> 	Note, I redirected this to -chat.
>
> 	Try the following:
>
> : adrian@lorax; cat ~/bin/netscape_r
> #!/bin/sh
> if [ $# != 1 ]; then
>   echo "netscape_r URL"
>   exit 1;
> fi
> URL=$(echo $1 | sed -e 's/,/%2c/g')
> exec /usr/local/bin/netscape -remote "openURL(${URL})"

Do you happen to know how to pass URLs containing commas to Netscape
this way?

I use urlview with this in ~/.urlview:

COMMAND netscape -remote 'openURL(%s)'

however Netscape barfs on URLs that contain things like:

30999847,0,19,1.html

the kind of thing you see in zdnet URLs for instance. I've tried
wrapping ``%s'' in both double and single quotes (not at the same
time ;-) ) but they just get passed literally.

The problem seems to be with Netscape, not urlview.

> 	I set 'netstape_r' as my external browser in pine and it works just
> fine.
>
> 	Adrian
> --
> [ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.