Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 01:22:15 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   questions and suggestions about default sendmail configuration

	Hi,

While playing with sendmail on FreeBSD, I noticed several settings that are not
optimum, in my opinion. So I post to know your feelings about it.

First, I realized that sendmail is running by default on port 25 (nothing weird
here ...) but on port 587 too because of this line in the sendmail.cf :

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E

It is probably known and wanted because I remember a thread about it a while
ago. However, if someone could explain me the use of this, that'd be kind ! :-)

Then, the genericstable feature is not enabled by default. I think it's a very
useful feature (not well known though) and it's particularly useful on
machines from which you send e-mails but that can't receive them directly on
their own sendmail (like personal computers that dont have a static DNS). This
kind of problems is generally solved by properly configuring the MUA, but it's
in my opinion more logical and more convenient to do it at the MTA level so that
users can send e-mails with any MUA (that uses sendmail to send its mails)
without configuring it.

To enable genericstable, these lines must be added to the freebsd.mc file :

FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/generics-domains')dnl

Finally, the PrivacyOptions set by default allow both the usage of the EXPN and
VRFY command, wich aren't a real security threat but can anyway allow someone to
get some informations since it's an easy way to know wether a login exists on a
system or not. Thus, it would perhaps be a good idea to add noexpn and novrfy to
the PrivacyOptions (or even goaway, but it might be a bit hard by default ;).

I'm waiting for your comments and I'm ready to send any patch if needed.

Regards,
Maxime Henrion