Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 21:43:50 +0200
From:      marius@alchemy.franken.de
To:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fully hosted

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:33:35AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> Many already know this, but I wanted to report that FreeBSD/sparc64 is
> now fully hosted (and from stock sources).

great!
but what "stock sources" are you refering to, those from the p4 tree
or those from cvs ?
i tried about a week ago with the p4 sources and those failed in
various places on the way to a new 'world', well libc_r was one...

what in general are nowadays the differences between the sparc64 p4 tree
and the main cvs repository, there seem to be (the same) sparc64-specific
commits to both trees, while src/sys/sparc64/fpu is only in the p4 one ?
or to put it another way, when can one expect the both trees to be merged
and the p4 tree to "go away" ?

> A post-remove-perl-from-/usr/src `make world' on my Blade100 took 2 1/2
> hours on its stock IDE disk.  I have NO_WERROR, NO_GDB, and NOLIBC_R set.
>
> A `make world' with the gcc31 port and
> CXX=/usr/local/bin/sparc64-undermydesk-freebsd5.0-g++31
> takes about 2 hrs 45 min.  (this adds groff to the build)

uhm, what is the difference between the in-tree gcc31 and the gcc31 port ?
no g++ (for sparc64) ?