Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:50:07 +0200
From:      Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Tariq Rashid <tariq@inty.net>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: squeeze more performance out of natd?

Hi,

On Monday 11 February 2002 16:15, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > another way would be to loop doing recvfrom's until EAGAIN is returned,
> > I suspect this may give at least a 2 fold increase in performance and
> > is trivial to accomplish.
>
> Wow.  Yeah, it sounds like that change would make more of a difference
> than moving away from select().  Tell us how it works, Tariq. :)

	Natd doesn't use select if you use alias address instead of interface
	name. In this case there is just simple recvfrom - sendto loop.

	The select is there currently mostly to get information from routing
	socket which is needed on DHCP / PPP environments. There
	was also second purpose - to check space on output socket -
	but it has been found unnecessary recently and I think it
	was removed from -current, at least.

		Ari S.