Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:33:23 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware suggestions (ICH9R/G33/JMicron JMB363)

Hi list
I sent a similar mail to freebsd-hardware last week, not very much =20
response there though so i resent here with some more details..

Im about to build a new machine wich will mainly be used for offsite =20
backup. My plan is to run 7.0 and use ZFS on a number of regular SATA-=20=

discs (some mixed I've already got and more to be bought later).
Anyways, the suggested hardware list is the following right now:

Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R, G33, 8x internal SATA (6x ICH9R + 2x on jmicron =20=

JMB363 from what I can find on net, gigabyte themselfs call it =20
"Gigabyte SATA2")
Intel Pro/1000PT PCIe Desktop Adapter 1000BaseT
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz 1333Mhz Socket LGA775, 4MB
2x1GB 1066MHz memory  (another 2 1gb woudl give me max 4gb, but that =20
should realy be enough for a fileserver.. so no 2Gb sticks here, =20
cannot find any for pc8500 anyway)

The mobo was featured on one of the mailinglists (dunno which it was) =20=

a while back, it was said that it worked good. However there seems to =20=

be some known problems? ICH9R and SATA ATAPI devices seems to work =20
poorly. Is this only ATAPI or is there any risk that this would =20
affect regular disks too? I realy dont want to have disk troubles =20
again, my history with ie nforce mobos and onboard controllers suck.. =20=

If these problems absolutly only affects CD-drives (ATAPI) then I =20
realy dont care, but would be nice to know if there are any risk that =20=

this affects disks too.  (reference http://groups.google.com/group/=20
muc.lists.freebsd.current/browse_thread/thread/7ae0e00567961d26)

The Intel network controllers should work good too right? =46rom list =20=

history it sure looks that way..

For the ZFS part (maybee wrong list), I was thinking of going with =20
zmirrored vdevs (currently I got 6 disks, 3 pairs of different size/=20
model) in one big pool, and when adding capacity I will probably add =20
pairs of drives (new zmirrored vdevs in the zpool)

Well, thanks for any opinions or suggestions! If you got any =20
recommendations about other similar mobos then I'm all ears!

--
Johan Str=F6m
Stromnet