Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:24:02 -0400
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd-cur and hardware problems

HI,

I think I've got the right list.  I'm running current ( sorry but I don't recall
what the CTM version number was other than maybe aroung 3208) on a pc along with NT.
The other day I tried to boot-up BSD and the boot hung just before the disk
checks.  I rebooted and it hung just after the disk checks, so I booted again
and same thing.

So I decided to reload the system( 980311-SNAP).  At commit time, the system hung trying to
set default route to gateway, and hung with the disk light locked on.  I tried this
a couple of more times with the same result, so I decided to reboot NT.

When NT came up, I didn't have a network connection, so I rebooted, same thing.
I rebooted one more time and viola connection.  So I tried to reload BSD,
and this time it hung before the install screen with a steady light on
the SCSI disk.  This seems to me to be a scsi controller error,
given the timing of the hangs.

Now after all that, my question is, is one of the probes showing a problem
with the scsi controller (adaptec AHA 2940), and could that somehow affect
the network card ( 3COM 3C90x combo board) to result is these problems????

Jim Ballantine