Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:29:34 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any advice before I buy a printer for FreeBSD?

But whatever you do, don't buy just any LexMark!  There are only a
handful of LexMarks that will work with anything other than Windows.
Some won't even work with all Windows OSs.  I just threw out a Lexmark
1100 (well, gave it away) because it works on all Windows OSs except
NT (the only one I have any patience for) and won't work on *anything*
else.  Last damn time I buy a LexMark.  I spent a week searching for
some way to get it to work on NT so I could at least get a Samba share
going.  Put me right off if you must know.  >:|

Lou

On 11/24/02 11:19 PM, Kevin Stevens sat at the `puter and typed:

> On Sunday, Nov 24, 2002, at 23:08 US/Pacific, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> >> The most painless way to print within FreeBSD is with a Postscript
> >> printer which speaks lpd protocol on ethernet.
> >>
> > Sadly this is quite an expensive way.
>
> If you can find one on eBay or somewhere, look into a Lexmark Optra
> Color 40 (or 45).
> Nice color inkjet printer, WITH Postscript.  It comes with a fighting
> 2MB of memory, but add a 32 or 64MB SIMM and you're good to go; prints
> great from FreeBSD, WinXP, and Mac OS X.  I've  loved mine for two
> years, and recently acquired another NIB that I might, MIGHT be talked
> out of.  Better yet, go find your own - should be less than $100.
> Recommended.
>
> KeS
>
> BTW, I was recently looking to see what else is out there, and the best
> I came up with is an HP 2280 at $450.

Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

QOTD:
  "Like this rose, our love will wilt and die."