Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 15:27:56 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA Ethernet intermittent

I have a strange problem with my AST "Ascentia P" PCMCIA slot0.  I
have never been able to put either a 3Com 3C589D or 3C589E card into
this slot and have it work correctly, but both cards work just fine in
slot1.  Running "pccardc dumpcis" with the card in both slots produces
the same output.  The card is recognized and assigned interrupt 10,
etc., in the exact same way by pccardd whether it's in slot0 or slot1.

I can run both cards in slot1, and not in slot0, also under Windows95.

When I run the card in slot0 under FreeBSD 2.2.5 with PAO, and if I
run something else which is sending out packets (such as ping), then I
can run "tcpdump -n" in another window and I see intermittent packets
being received.  "ping" in another window will actually receive ping
replies intermittently, always at least 60-100 seconds late, and only
about 5% of the replies at best.

Since it fails the exact same way under Windows95 and FreeBSD, it
looks like maybe it's hardware, but this system has acted this way
since I first got it years ago.

It's only an issue now that I want to use it as a router with two
network cards and I can only use one PCMCIA slot.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions?

/raj