Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 02:42:02 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Brendon and Wendy <brendy33@attbi.com>, Chris Luke <chrisy@flix.net>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mp_machdep.c patch

Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > You have to enable HT in the BIOS.  If it is not enabled in the
> > BIOS, it will not add entries to the MP Table for the virtual
> > processors, and they will not be recognized.
>
> My new MP systemm at work (soon to ship to a custommer.. (rats..))
> is running -stable as of today..
> even when I turn off Hyperthreading in the bios,
> FreeBSD still finds and uses the extra 2 CPUs..
> (i.e it looks as if it has 4 instead of 2)
>
> Nothing I can do will force freeBSD to run with only 2 CPUs.

Your BIOS is broken the other directionL it puts the SMT
virtual CPUs in the MP Table when it should leve them out
(when the BIOS setting says they are disabled).

Probably the BIOS setting only controls whether or not they
show up in the ACPI code, and the vendor expects you to use
ACPI to find them.

You should be able to verify this with jhb's ACPI dumper
thingy he posted a while back, and dumping the MP Table.

Ah standards, so many to choose from.  8-).

-- Terry