Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        CQ CQ de Jason <jason@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to use a logical partition

Thanks Scott for setting me right on this one.

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, CQ CQ de Jason wrote:

> > > My HD is currently partitioned as the following:
> > > sd0s1	DOS (primary) install Chinese version of Win95
> > > sd0s2	DOS (primary) install English version of Win95
> > > sd0s3	FreeBSD (primary)
> > > sd0s4	Extended
> > > sd0s5	DOS D:\
> > > sd0s6	DOS E:\
> > > sd0s7	*FreeBSD* (created by Linux fdisk)
> > >
> > > the problem here is I don't know how to use this sd0s7 under my FreeBSD.
> >
> > You don't.  You must install FreeBSD to it's own slice.
> >
> > sd0s7 would be the, oh, fourth logical disk in a DOS extended partition.
> >
> > Looks like you're out of room...:(  New disk perhaps?
>
> The reason I need to have a sd0s7 is because it is a 700MB partition
> for CD burning Image.

I've misread your table up there.  You should be able to mount up sd0s7 as
normal.  You may have to modify your disklabel to give that partition a
letter, but otherwise you should be OK.

> Sometimes I burn cd in windows95, but mostly I would like to burn cd under
> FreeBSD, my HD is 2G, but I can't afford to assign each OS a 700MB partition.

You can burn Rock Ridge format discs under FreeBSD, so you get 8.3
filenames in DOS and full length filenames on UNIX systems.