Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:54:50 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@snake.srv.net>, Hank Kuczynski <C-Kuczynski@mail.dec.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IP routing?

At 08:40 AM 8/19/97 -0700, Charles Mott wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Hank Kuczynski wrote:
>> If you hadn't guessed by now, my goal here is to be able to play Quake
and other internet games that can't negotiate a proxy server from my other
win95 machines....

>> Can FreeBSD help me in this situation?  Would I be better off with
Linux?  I've heard of people being able to do this successfully with Linux
in the past.

>> Let me know!
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> -Hank Kuczynski
>>

>You may wish to try natd (network address translation daemon), written by
>Ari Suutari, available at
>
>    http://ftp.suutari.iki.fi/pub/natd
>
>The software has also made it into the -stable and -current developement
>branches.  It turns out that Ari has a cable modem at home like you do,
>and this was one of his motivations for writing the software.
>
>You will be able to ping from within your internal network, but I don't
>know whether Quake will work.  If it is an IP encoding protocol, there
>will have to some work.
>
>Charles Mott
It will not work for Quake becuase the quake server can only handle one
client coming from a single IP address. So only one of your computers can
be connected to the same quake server at the same time. Or you can set up a
server on the FreeBSD machine...
If a single client coming from your lan is fine, look for proxying
client-side quake bots. There are some that cheat for you, and there are
some which simply allow you to do what you want to do. One that I was
looking at was the Terminator Bot (sorry, don't have the URL).

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page     ^-- Updated 07/01/97