Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:54:58 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tools for checking disk load?

At 07:19 PM 8/30/99 +0000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > considering some upgrades.  I know when I read the archives I saw some
> > discussion about expanding iostat to give more statistics that would be
> > useful for this (since msps seems to be useless), but this was all in
> 1995,
> > and nothing seems to have come of it.
>
>try "iostat" and "systat -iostat" good luck,

The problem with iostat is that quite honestly the information there really
isn't all that informative.  Ok, yeah, iostat will give you information on
sectors per second and transfers per second, but really, that's not a whole
lot.  The msps measurement doesn't seem to be implemented at all.  There
was a lot of talk several years ago about adding some measurements that
would have been usefull (things like number of tasks waiting on the disk),
but as far as I can tell nothing ever got done with those.