Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 1995 10:03:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        vidiot@cyberspace.com (village idiot)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: a new convert...

> i am a new convert to un*x type operating systems and henceforth am a
> little confused about certain things. since i am pursuing programming
> endeavors and so forth i believ it would be beneficial to run a un*x type
> operating system on my home PC. i do know that i will need the prting
> capabilities of X11 and so forth and understand that FreeBSD has an X11
> add-on...
>
> i have gone to your ftp site but find it rather daunting to download tens
> of megabytes of binaries! where can i get the cdrom???
>
> one last question... (or rather two) :
>
> 1) will i still be able to retain my WFW3.11 files on my hard drive (in
> other words, can i boot FreeBSD from a diskette)???

Yes, of course you can boot FreeBSD from a diskette. Either you can download
the FreeBSD-2.x boot.flp and cpio.flp or you can create the floppies from
images supplied on the CD-ROM.

If you have a DOS partition covering the entire disk there is
a method (though not guaranteed) to shrink the partitions once you have
defragmented it (sd.exe, fips.exe). Then you can create an additional
FreeBSD partition. You also can mount the DOS partition from
FreeBSD.

> 2) exactly how much of my hard drive is FreeBSD going to eat away???

You can start with as little as 60 MB (w/o X11, w/o manpages. w/o games,
w/o sources). Recommended are 350 MB.

> sincerely,
> glen starchman
> vidiot@cyberspace.com

FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #0: Sat Feb  4
16:57:32  1995     kuku@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUES  i386