Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:37:06 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your commentary gripe (was  Re: svgalib? (forget the newbies) )

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, John S. Dyson wrote:

> > More comments aren't necessarily better.  Wrong comments are worse then no
> > comments and more comments can lead to that.
> >
> > If want to rip on something, go thru the cvs logs and rip on useless
> > comments.  If you want to encourage something push for better meaningful
> > comments.
> >
> It wouldn't be too hard to add comments:
>
> 	vp = vp->v_next;	/* get the next vp */
> 	i++;				/* add one to i */

Yeah, those should be plucked out of the code.  One liners above the code
section that describe the author's intent rather than parroting the
mechanics of the code is sufficient.

The philosophy is pretty well described in "Elements of Style", by Strunk
and White.  Or better yet, "Elements of Programming Style", by Kernigan
and Plauger.

Mike Hancock