Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:44:44 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/22042: spelling error

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 03:32:31AM -0800, opentrax@email.com wrote:

> Perhaps, I wasn't clear about how I'm using the word "directly".
> In this context, I mean that the "directly" from FreeBSD-gnats.
> It's well known that XFree86 has a bug reporting system, but
> bugs like this get passed around like a sour apple. People
> knows it's sour, but prefer to have someone else taste it.

I'm about 1000mi overdue for an oil change and I have a quarter
tank of gas left.  I, however, will go to both a quicklube[1]
and a gas station to fix this. Just because both places (gas
station and quicklube / FreeBSD GNATS and XFree86 GNATS)
perform similar functions (putting fluids in an automobile /
fixing errors in man pages) doesn't mean that both are appropriate.

Making local changes to XFree86 without contributing them back
doesn't help XFree86 fundamentally fix the problem, nor does it
make us good citizens. It is also difficult because the changes
will possibly later conflict (we fixed the spelling error, but they
removed the reference, now the patch breaks the build).

Is it technically possible to fix it? Yes.
Is it the policy of FreeBSD to submit man page fixes back to
the vendor in the hopes that they will be locally adapted? Yes.

--
Bill Fumerola - billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

1. e-mails about how easy it is to change your own oil will be ignored.