Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 17:22:15 -0500
From:      brianc@netrover.com (Brian Campbell)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FREEBSD-HACKERS-L)
Subject:   Re: Odd booting problems with 2.2-ALPHA

Brian Tao writes:
>     I recently installed 2.2-ALPHA on a handful of new workstations
> around the office, and noticed problems related to the boot procedure.
> The hardware is an Intel P166 on a Gigabyte 430VX motherboard:

>     All the machines have experienced one of the two problems I want
> to describe.  On random occasions when rebooting, the machine will
> simply freeze just after the initial kernel load message and before it
> prints the BIOS memory size check (the first line printed in bright
> white with the syscons driver).  This can happen from power-on, coming
> from a DOS session, or rebooting from FreeBSD.

My Dell P166 running 2.2-alpha has done this too on occasion.  However I
haven't been able to find a repeatable set of circumstances under which
it happens.

However, if it happens, it's usually right after powerup and the floppy
light is still on from the bios "probes".  Perhaps it's an unexpected
interrupt.