Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 22:12:53 +0900
From:      HINO Koji <hino@nwk.cl.nec.co.jp>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Completely formatted disk with FreeBSD 2.1-960627-SNAP

Hi, hackers,

While I checked 2.1-960627-SNAP's boot floppy, I found one kernel
fault prob.

1. I've used 2.1 RELEASE for a while. It works fine.
   HW:	Pentium & TRITON chipset PCI mother
	Adaptec PCI SCSI card (2940), NO geometry translation
	Quantum Fireball 540S (all for FreeBSD)
	16Mbytes memory, no 2nd cache X-<

2. Today, I attached Seagate BARRACUDA 4(ST15150N) SCSI disk (about 4G
bytes) as second disk(Quantum = SCSI-ID 0 and sd0, Seagate = SCSI-ID 1
and sd1), check the disk with adaptec's BIOS utility, then format the
disk with same util. All HW seems good. I boot 2.1 RELEASE. OK. Probe
perfectly, but unconfigured.

3. Then I boot with 2.1-960627-SNAP, then division by zero error....
I tried several times, but all the same...

4. I changed adaptec's setting (enable geometry translation for DOS),
then boot MS-DOG 6.2, and fdisk it. One 2G partition(slice) was
created. Again, I boot with 2.1-960627-SNAP, then.... it boot
perfectly!

I'm not sure which is the point:
 * geometry translation setting
 * writing partition (MBR?)

but I have no more time today. If you have already fixed this probrem,
please ignore this mail. You, all hackers, should be very busy now!

Thanks in advance.

And I believe all hacker's work, and success of FreeBSD :->

Koji HINO, from Japan