Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 04:28:04 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tar just doesn't want to be KILLed

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 02:30:50AM +0100, Walter Hop wrote:
>=20
> >> 1. there's no way to get rid of an instance of tar (that's probably
> >>    waiting for some IO to complete?
> >> 2. there's no way to umount a mount point held by such a process?
> >
> > No and no. See the KILL signal, and the -f option to umount.
>=20
> Sorry, I should have provided more information, but thought it too
> obvious.
>=20
> slash:~# killall -KILL tar
> slash:~# ps waux | grep tar
> root     8975  0.0  0.1   548    0  p0- DE    4:03AM   2:14.08 tar cvfl /=
mnt/dump/root.tar /
> slash:~# umount -f /mnt/dump
> umount: unmount of /mnt/dump failed: Device busy
>=20
> [btw, /mnt/dump is a dead NFS mount and tar is in the 'sbwait' state]

Okay, NFS is the exception here.  You get this behaviour if the remote
system dies and you're not mounting the NFS volume the correct way,
but I'm not enough of an NFS expert to remember which options you
should include to fix it.

I always mount my NFS volumes as follows..I forget all the reasons why
:-)

rw,bg,soft,intr,nfsv3,rdirplus,mntudp,noconn

Kris
--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--