Date:      23 Oct 2001 02:07:55 -0000
From:      "Martin Gignac  FreeBSD " <freebsd@mia.ericsson.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nmbd (Samba) not binding after shutdown now + CTRL-D combination...

Hi,

I am running the samba-2.2.1a_2 port on a FreeBSD 4.3-RC machine.

When I start my machine from a power-off state or reboot the machine
(using 'halt' or 'reboot') my smbd and nmbd daemons run fine. But if I
issue a 'shutdown now' command to go into single-user mode, do a couple
of things, and then press CTRL-D to return to multi-user mode, the nmd
daemon refuses to start, instead giving off the following errors in
the /var/log/log.nmbd file:

[2001/10/22 21:29:04, 0] nmbd/asyncdns.c:start_async_dns(150)
 started asyncdns process 3552
[2001/10/22 21:29:04, 0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:create_subnets(242)
 create_subnets: No local interfaces !
[2001/10/22 21:29:04, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(835)
 ERROR: Failed when creating subnet lists. Exiting.

smbd runs fine, though. Any attempt to start nmbd, either by hand, with
SWAT, or with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh ultimately fails. I find
myself having to completely reboot the machine to get nmbd to work once
again.

What is suprising is that all other services seems to work just fine
after the return to multi-user: DNS, HTTP, NTP, SMTP, FTP, etc.

Is there anything 'bad' about not performing a full reboot? I've always
enjoyed the speed advantage of going into single-user mode and then
jumping back to multi-user instead of having to wait for a complete
machine boot.

Is this behavior expected? If so, why does it seem as if I am only
seeing it with nmbd? And why does it complain about there not being any
local interfaces? I can see them just fine if I do an 'ifconfig -a'.

Anyway, if anyone can give me a clue as to what is (or might be) going
on, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Martin