Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:57:21 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.cc>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        cjm2@earthling.net, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed Solution To Recent "firewall_enable" Thread. [Please Read]

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:51:20PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> How about renaming things a little more:

I almost wrote in another message that should someone decide to rename
the knob, I hope that they will take into account the entire rc system
and make sure that the names are consistent.  If `firewall_enable' can
be improved upon, I'm sure other knobs can, too.

> 	ipfw_load_rules={yes,no}
> 	ipfw_disable_firewall={yes,no}
> 	ipfw_kldload={yes,no}
>
> ipfw_load_rules would load ipfw rules, like firewall_enable does now.
> ipfw_disable_firewall breaks symetry on purpose, and would disable all
>   ipfw functionality that may be compiled into the kernel.  Since this
>   is fairly explicit, it can default to no and if someone sets it to
>   yes, they know what to expect without the current ambiguous situation
>   (yes, it is ambiguous, which is why we're arguing about it).  I know
>   that all other foo_enable stuff uses the form foo_enable, but that
>   is ambiguous in this case since there are two parts.

This is why I think all the names need to be re-examined.  A better
scheme would probably result.

What we have is (IMHO) sufficient ... but there is room for
improvement.

> ipfw_kldload would allow kld the ipfw.ko module.  It would default to
>   no.

There could be a whole series of such knobs, parallel to those we use
in /boot/defaults/loader.conf.

> Note: There would be no ipfw_enable.
>
> We should then deprecate firewall_*.  We have two firewall systems in
> the kernel (ipfw and ipfilter).  We shouldn't be favoring one by
> calling it firewall and the other as ipfilter.  No one is advocating
> disabling ipfilter also when firewall_enable=NO, are they?

Yeah, no kidding.  I use ipfilter. ;-)

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos