Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 22:16:52 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        Jim Freeze <jimfreeze@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help with sendmail after upgrade to 4.6 stable

On Sunday 07 July 2002 09:12 pm, Jim Freeze wrote:
> Hi:
>=20
> After exploring on the net a bit, I found where someone suggested to ch=
ange
> the mode of /var/spool/clientmqueue from 755 to 770.
>=20
> I did this and now mutt gives me the error:
>=20
> Error sending message, child exited 71 (Operating system error.).
>=20
>=20
> Hmm,  I can't tell what is going on here. It really bugs me that=20
> /var/spool/clientmqueue
> is empty too.
>=20
> Thanks for any help.
>=20
> Jim
>=20
>=20
>=20

I had this same problem.  After restoring my old /etc/mail directory and=20
restarting sendmail everything worked fine again.

Search for "Re: Pine/Sendmail error" in the list archive for the whole me=
ssage=20
that someone sent me a this after I had restored my old files.  It might =
work=20
for you.  This is what he said was causing the problem.

"You can get this error if /etc/mail/submit.cf is missing."

In my case I guess submit.cf was restored when my old config files were=20
restored.

--=20
Anish Mistry