Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:21:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@home.com>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, ler@lerctr.org, Greg@fatcanary.com.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2 / 550

On Tuesday,  4 July 2000 at 22:46:47 -0400, Paul Murphy wrote:
> Joe Greco wrote:
>>
>> Ditto.  I'm slowly but surely dumping all my Intel Pentium stuff, plus most
>> of my 486 or older stuff :-)  I've been using the ASUS P/I-P55T2P4, the
>> venerable Triton II overclocker's board, which I've got a plethora of, and
>> some P5A's.  My baseline systems are now K6/233's, ranging up to
>> K6-III-400's (which still seem to be faster than their K6-2 higher speed
>> counterparts).  Only using Intel for the SMP stuff now.  And on my laptop
>
>  Is there a particular reason for going with the AMD's over Intel?  When
> buying computers I have always stayed with the Intel CPU's because I
> thought it was similar to Soundblaster vs. others: all the others say
> they are "Soundblaster compatible" so why not buy the real thing?

An obvious reason is the bang to buck ratio.  AMD CPUs are cheaper for
a given performance, often very much so.

I note also an article in c't issue 13/2000, which suggests that Intel
is currently in big trouble delivering high-performance processor
hardware, whereas AMD seems to be doing pretty well.

Greg