Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:06:45 +0400
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wc, tagging &c (not a troll ;)

In my box I have a Quantum drive and an IBM DTLA-307015 drive.  The
latter supports tagged queuing, as ata(4) tells and from the
discussion(s) on this list my understanding is that tags are safe,
unlike write caching (since we sometimes have random power glitches, I
really don't want to turn wc on).

However code in ata-disk in ad_attach does

    if (ata_wc || ata_tags)
        turn on wc

    if (ata_tags && ad_tagsupported(adp))
        turn on tagging

This makes me nervous as at the first glance it looks like it will
enable wc on my quantum drive even though it doesn't do tagging.
Shouldn't it be:

    do_tagging = ata_tags && ad_tagsupported(adp);

    if (ata_wc || do_tagging)
        turn on wc

    if (ata_tags && do_tagging)
        turn on tagging