Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 21:24:38 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        committers@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tree tagging imminent for 2.1.5-RELEASE!

As with the previous releases, there is a complete source tree 'cvs rtag'
due soon, to mark the exact point that the release was built from on the
-stable branch.

The cvs tag will be RELENG_2_1_5_RELEASE.

This has serious implications for the people getting a copy of the cvs
tree via sup.  The two plain-source trees will be unaffected though.

The tag process modifies every single file under the src/ area, so sup
will re-transmit *THE WHOLE FILE!*.  CTM is not so badly affected, but it
will be sending a large-ish delta out, from memory of the 2.1R tagging it
should be between 10 and 15 parts (about 1 to 1.5MB).

This is probably going to put a fair degree of strain on the sup servers,
so if you have difficulty connecting or getting a complete transfer,
please give it some time to settle down and get over the hump.  Your
patience will be appreciated.

If you have a relatively up-to-date cvs tree that you get by sup, you may
want to do an update *now* to get up to date before the servers get hit
with the load.

This should be the last time this happens, there is a replacement sup-like
system nearing completion that is *far* more efficient than sup, and
should be just about on-par with ctm's efficiency.  When that is ready,
only the changed lines will be sent, rather than the whole file.  More on
this when the time comes, please don't email and ask me about it as I
can't say much more than that.  (The author can jump in if he wishes, but
I dont think he's ready to go public yet).

-Peter
(PS: watch the followup CC: list!)