Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:56:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jason Hudgins <jason@www.dancooks.com>
Cc:        jcj@phoenix.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd coredumps repeatedly?

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 10:59:28AM -0600, Jason Hudgins wrote:
>> Have youy examined the core dump, anything from the system logs?
>
> I've never examined a core dump before... =) Don't know how to
> begin..

There's some information in the online handbook.  To get much use out
of it, you should recompile inetd with debugging symbols:

 # make clean all install clean CFLAGS=-g

When you get the dump, start with something like:

  # gdb /usr/sbin/inetd inetd.core
  (gdb) dir /usr/src/usr.sbin/inetd
  (gdb) l			(this will list where it died)
  (gdb) bt			(this will show how it got there)

> and unfortunatly the /var/log/messages just got turned over, its got a
> total of two lines in it at the moment..

That's OK, the old /var/log/messages is now called
/var/log/messages.0.

Greg