Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:11:33 +0700
From:      John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How does quota suppose to work?

Hi...

I have never used quota before. About 2 weeks ago I setup my machine to be a
file server which anyone in my network can write to. Installed
samba-2.2.1a_2 from ports. I configured samba so I have /home/samba (owned
by user:samba and group:samba) as the directory in which people can write
to.

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/ad0s2b     none            swap    sw                      0       0
/dev/ad0s2a     /               ufs     rw,userquota            1       1
/dev/acd0c      /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto               0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         msdos   rw,noauto,longnames     0       0
/dev/ad0s1      /win            msdos   rw,longnames            0       0
proc            /proc           procfs  rw                      0       0

Then as root I issued edquota samba.

# quota -u samba
Disk quotas for user samba (uid 1003):
Filesystem   usage   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit grace
         /    4601 300000030000001               3       0       0

But when I tried to fill /home/samba with junk (using another machine, a
Windows 2000 machine, copying lots of MP3s thru Network Neighborhood), my
machine didn't forbid 4 gigs size!
Does quota suppose to work like this?

I have OPTIONS QUOTA in my kernel and set enable_quotas="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf. This is a -CURRENT system.

# uname -a
FreeBSD dante.naver.co.id 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Oct  8
17:04:57 JAVT 2001     root@dante.naver.co.id:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DANTE
i386

tq

/john