Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:58:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>, Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>, stable@freebsd.org, brian@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Tunneling, is it possible?

Bill Fumerola once wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
> > I  love my  PPP over  SSH connection.  Basicly, ppp  on one  machine
> > invokes ssh  to login to  the other  side and start  ``ppp -direct''
> > there.  Once the  connection  is  up, both  ends  can route  packets
> > to/from the newly created  tun-interfaces enabling other machines on
> > the LANs to see it all.
>
> ppp+ssh has some flaws to it. Performance can be choppy and the reason
> (If  I'm  pulling  out of  my  memory  banks  what  Brian told  me  at
> FreeBSDcon properly)  is that there are  so many layer, each  with its
> own error correction, compression, etc  that wierd bursts and such can
> happen.

This is true. I enable compression in ssh, but disable it in PPP. Still,
I suppose, it  is imperfect. I'm wondering if changing  the MTU/MRU will
help (and in  what direction). It does, however,  completely emulate the
net interface  -- I can  ftp, rsh, run X,  etc. over such  connection --
even rwhod works (must be started after the connction is established).

> > This  works perfect  to get  a normal  connection through  a one-way
> > firewall too, BTW.
>
> Which is the only reason I use it.

	-mi