Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:52:45 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        okana@superonline.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Must I install it..

Okan Asik writes:
 > This is Okan Asik from Turkey.I am using windows 95 right now.But as you
 > know i don't like it.I am using it just because internet.I heard about
 > FreeBsd in internet yesterday.I had used Linux for 5 months.And it came
 > to me a little hard.I want to use x-window like in Novell Unixware..

Welcome.

Yes, FreeBSD has a GUI - XFree86.  It is a very nice port of the X
Window System release 11, version 6.1, also known as X11R6.1.

 > Is there a GUI in FreeBsd.Is it like Linux's x-window or spmething
 > else..

This is essentially the same release as current Linux software; Linux
also uses XFree86.

 > As you see am looking for a GUI unix operating system.If it is not like
 > unixware-Novell i am gonna install Novell i think..But my machine is
 > 586CYRX-16RAM-820HDD

FreeBSD certainly costs less than UnixWare.  Also UnixWare doesn't
belong to Novell anymore, they sold it to SCO.  If your dealings with
SCO are like most of those on this group (perhasp SEF will disagree),
that alone would cause you to abandon the idea of using UnixWare.

Give FreeBSD a try - it won't cost you anything but some time.  It is a
great system for learning about UNIX, and a great system for getting
work done.  I've even managed to convert die-hard embedded programmers
used to DOS for their development platform over to FreeBSD.  When one of
them realized he could port all of the MC68HC11 development tools he'd
written for DOS over the years to FreeBSD in a day, he was hooked.  Then
I pointed out the 'bcc' compiler to him, and the fact that it was ready
to go for 68HC11, and he almost cried.  ;^)

*Anyone* who uses PCs can benefit from FreeBSD.