Date:      08 Aug 1997 02:23:46 -0700
From:      Faried Nawaz <fn@Hungry.COM>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape native version

mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo) writes:

  Anyone else notice that it often just refuses to die?? I'd say about 60%
  of the time for me, when I close it by selecting "Exit" from the menu,
  or close the window using the window manager, Netscape disapears from
  the screen, but a process list shows me it's still there, eating up
  20MB or RAM and burning away my CPU. 'kill -9' is your friend..

It dies for me -- you just have to wait a few seconds or so.
It takes about 15-20 seconds to go away on my machine (486-100, 48mb ram,
2.2-STABLE).

  Finally, Communicator locked up on me last night - actuallly it locked
  up and took out my system with it.. complete freeze. X was still
  "displaying", but the keyboard and mouse were dead. The machine wouldn't
  even answer pings... complete freeze. Needless to say, since I've been
  running FreeBSD (almost 2 years) this is the first time this has ever
  happened to me. Lock up. Not even a crash. Nothing is worse, and horrible
  images of win95 were filling my head.

I've had this happen on rare occasions in the past two years.

Also, at least twice, I've gone away for a while, come back, hit some
key to turn off the X screensaver (the 'blank' screen xset gives you),
and the machine's rebooted.  This was usually after a make world or
some other long-running, vm-intensive process (hasn't happened
recently).

I don't think you can explicitly blame Communicator here.