Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:58:13 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Aravind Gopal <myaravindg@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: freebsd 10.0 RC upgrade disabled many System functions

--FF2ivjwpnDmP8CshiPVig55sRjcNBhwgT

On 11/01/2014 17:38, Aravind Gopal wrote:
> As recommended, I tried to rebuild and install all applications by
> using 'portmaster -f' command.
> But failed , systen replied that no such command. also no man files.
> tried to install pkg_add =AD-r portmaster ; syatem replied that
> 'pkg_add' =ADnot found.
> As this stem failed. went to the next step.

You will need to reinstall all your packages, as is expected for a major
version upgrade -- the reason KDE is failing is because of X not coping
with some OS level changes between 9.2 and 10.0

The other thing that is biting you is the switch from pkg_tools to
pkgng.  This is what you need to do:

   # pkg install pkg
   (Answer yes when it prompts you to bootstrap pkg)

   # pkg2ng -p
   (-p fixes up periodic.conf to work with pkgng: omit it if you
    don't want periodic.conf touched)

   # pkg upgrade -f
   (This will reinstall all your installed packages using binaries
    downloaded from the official FreeBSD package repository)

Now, because you're using the official binary packages, they'll all be
compiled with the default options.  This may not be what you want.
Also, while this is a large step towards getting you up and running
again, it may not get you the whole way.  In either case, please ask
again here with specifics of the problems you have encountered.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.