Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 08:11:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Multiplatform lan

You can connect macs...most of my network is Mac. (Easier than win9x, for sure).
I don't know what you have done so far, but make sure that you assign a IP
address to the Mac and note that in  /etc/hosts (unless you are using DHCP).

In the TCP/IP control panel, set "Connect via:" to Ethernet, "Configure" to
Manually, "IP address" to your assigned IP, "Subnet mask" to your subnet.  The
"Router" address is the IP address of the FreeBSD box, and then "Name server
addr" to your DNS addresses.

Typically you use "fake" IP addresses for your internal network, since you are
-aliasing.  I use the 192.168.1.x range, but that is my choice.  See
/etc/hosts.conf for a more complete listing of availible IPs.

Then it should work fine.

Patrick Gardella